St Stephen’s Church West Bowling Bradford has adopted the Church of England’s House of Bishops’ Safeguarding Policy “Promoting a Safer Church” ( https://www.churchofengland.org/sites/default/files/2017-12/PromotingSaferChurchWeb.pdf). We make church officers aware of its policies and guidelines and tries to provide appropriate training, and provides appropriate insurance cover (through the Ecclesiastical Insurance Group) for all its activities.
In line with the House of Bishops’ Policy, we believe the care and protection of children, young people and adults involved in church activities is the responsibility of everyone who participates in the life of the church, and our commitments include:
- Promoting a safer environment and culture
- Safely recruiting and supporting all those with any responsibility for children and vulnerable adults
- Responding promptly to every safeguarding concern or allegation
- Caring pastorally for victims and survivors of abuse and others affected
- Caring pastorally for those who are the subjects of concerns or allegations of abuse, and others affected
- Responding to those who may pose a present risk
IF YOU ARE CONCERNED THAT someone you know is at risk of, or is being, abused, or presents a risk to others, please report the matter to the Local Authority Social Care Services or the Police without delay. We also ask you to seek advice from our Safeguarding Officer or the Diocesan Safeguarding Team as soon as possible.
Contact details for any concerns:
- If there is an immediate emergency, dial 999.
- If a child or adult is at immediate risk of significant harm, call the police on 101 or the Bradford Social Services team on 01274 435600 (for children), 01274 431077 (for adults), or 01274 431010 (the Out of Hours Emergency Duty Team for children and adults). (These numbers were correct on 9th August 2019 according to pages on Bradford Council’s web site at: https://www.bradford.gov.uk/children-young-people-and-families/safeguarding-children/safeguarding-children and https://www.bradford.gov.uk/adult-social-care/adult-abuse/report-adult-abuse . In the past Bradford Council has changed these numbers and its web site without notice, so we advise you to check the numbers for yourself if you don’t get through on the first attempt.)
- Diocesan Safeguarding Advisers:; Jimmy Hinton firstname.lastname@example.org 07872 005189;
Narinder Lyon email@example.com 07872 005309.
For further information, please seewww.leeds.anglican.org/safe
- Church Leader: Canon Rev’d Jimmy Hinton firstname.lastname@example.org
Other agencies which can provide assistance.
- NSPCC: 0808 800 5000
- Childline: 0800 1111
- Stop It Now: 0808 1000 900
- NAPAC: 0808 801 0331
- Samaritans: 116 123
- Family Lives 0808 800 2222
- National Domestic Violence Helpline: 0808 2000 247
- Action on Elder Abuse 0808 808 8141
To access our Church guidelines document please click here